Saturday, December 10, 2011

Influence of Invictus

I wanted to write about two people of influence I've been inspired by recently: William Ernest Henley and Nelson Mandela.

My husband and I recently watched "Invictus" - the movie about the South African Rugby team that played in the World Cup after Nelson Mandela became president . I loved the movie but couldn't figure out the title. Then I did a quick search and found that it is the name of the poem published in 1875 by William Ernest Henley that Mandela memorized and quoted to fellow inmates, inspiring him to remain true to his ideals during his 27 years of imprisonment. Invictus means "unconquerable". Here is the poem:

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.


In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.


Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.


It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.



The poem itself is powerful and familiar to many. It speaks to the strength of the individual soul, the "power of one" to make a difference if only in his own soul. Looking at the impact Henly's words had on one man, Nelson Mandela, who allowed himself to be influenced by them, it is not hard to see how Henly was an Influencer for Good through using his gifts of pen and poetry.


 It was fascinating to read about Henly's life experiences that led him to write Invictus.  The influence of a schoolmaster who was "was singularly kind to me at a moment when I needed kindness even more than I needed encouragement". His later battle with tuberculosis of the bone and amputation led him to find the pioneering surgeon Joseph Lister whose new methods encouraged him to avoid a second leg amputation and led to a recovery to mostly full health. He was also greatly impacted by visits from Robert Louis Stevenson and had connections with JM Barrie as well. I was interested to learn that earlier drafts of his poem Invictus were titled "A Thanksgiving".

Check out the movie Invictus if you're interested in an uplifting look at a man of true influence. Here's a review I found helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment